Tuesday 9 October 2012

ALPHABET SOUP - TYPEFACE

Alphabet soup - Task 2


Before we received our brief we were assigned a partner from the group, we where then each given a sheet of questions to ask each other. This collected information would form the base for our research. I typed up the notes taken during that session, they can be seen below.

What is your favourite colour?
Purple

What is your earliest memory?
When she was younger a friend pushed her over her scooter handlebars.

Which living designer do you admire the most, and why?
Rob Ryan, he’s a paper craft artist who creates really intricate pieces.

What is your most treasured possession?
Jesus Bracelet given to her by grandmother.

What would your super power be?
To be able to read minds.

Which piece of graphic design do you wish you had created?


Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
The whole Geordie shore crew and Heston Blumenthal.

What makes you unhappy?
Bad drivers.

What would be your fancy dress costume of choice?
Salt and pepper shakers.

Additional information I found out was;
She does Ballet and Modern dancing.
Really likes collage and paper craft.

After we completed this task we were handed the brief. 







Above is my ideas generation, I have decided to base my font around that fact that Melissa does dancing. First I have decided to research into the possibility of basing my font on different dance poses.



http://www.netweed.com/allworlddance/bodytype.jpg

The above image portrays how I could make my letter forms look like dancers. However, I would have to some how make them look more elegant as their body positions are too rigid. 











http://livinlargelovinlife.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/beijing-olympic-sports-logo.jpeg

I then found the branding for the Beijing Olympics, the logos that were created for each of the sports are simple, flowing stick characters. However, they are effective and portray the sport intended. I like how the lines of the body flow, it is an element that I want to use when creating my letters to make them look 
more elegant.














http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs9/i/2006/034/4/d/Body_font_by_CommunistOlga.jpg


This is a body themed font, although it is much simple and lacks body features. All aspects of the human body such have the head have been removed and the letters have been left as legs and shoes. This concept would not work for me as it is not linked to dancing. However,  it has made me think about how legible my  letters will be when crating my font.





https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgJHBKpR8sqYW0lIlVrkkNhecuEKIhTAdKK_KcAX3zUnXPK9ED2WI6WZBHQttbi7Y5W6q8-Er4YxtAU-QcdMTQScFrSf315PACb5m79b5_GkftPSt71r4sHHuDjko3__YtHDGPDXbFQBXA/s1600/alphabetredo.jpg
Moreover, this is another body themed font. However, this time the body features are noticeable. I am going to experiment with creating letters like this but more simple and flowing alike the Beijing Olympic illustrations.



Character alphabet designed by illustrator Yoswadi Krutklom


(experimentation)



After some experimentation sketches I am having doubts about how my initial concept would look. Therefore I have decided to further my research and look at some other possibilities.


 The above typeface was done by Therese Vandling, a graphic designer based in London. The letters mix illustration and collage to make up the letterform, Melissa mentioned that one of her interests was paper art and collage. Therefore, I could look at creating something similar, mixing illustration and collage to create my letters. I will find out more information about Melissa’s interests and hobbies to help me form the content.



http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Life-in-the-Alphabet_/322840


Eibatova Karina is a designer from Russian, she designed the typeface around the idea of natural forms. I think the letterforms are remarkable and the detail that is achieved is amazing.  Each letter is done in pencil, scanned in and left untouched. I really like the illustrations and how they have been adapted to fit the letterform, I will need to consider how I will compose my letters. I believe this alphabet works so well as each letterform uses one strong theme, it will be hard for me to achieve this as I am mixing collage and illustration.


An Illustrated Alphabet by Jakub Konvica typography illustration anatomy

An Illustrated Alphabet by Jakub Konvica, she has used the same concept as me but her alphabet has different content. My aim is to produce letterforms similar to this that utilize both illustration and collage.







This typeface was created by German graphic designer Silja Goetz. She used a mix of Victorian clip art, photography and illustration to create her typeface; I hope to produce mine in a similar way.




These 'Alphabirds' were created by illustrator Andrea Kalfas. This alphabet adapts the shape of birds to create letterfroms. I have chosen to look at Kalfas' work as i like how she has kept her illustrations simple, so that adapting the shape was easy. I need to consider how i will adapt my illustration and collage to create letterforms. 


Alphabet designed by Yuko Michishita




illustrated typeface by Tsepo Makate



A hand-drawn alphabet based on gestalt created by Jaci Kessler. This is very similar to what i want to produce using objects to portray letterform and Melissa's personality


Now I had a good idea of how I am going to produce my alphabet I will start researching possible fonts I could use as a base. However, I don’t think its as important researching they letter base because of how I will be producing the letters. Therefore, I will spend less time researching typefaces so I can focus more of my time on producing my alphabet.





This typeface is called ‘coolvetica’ it’s a sans serif font that’s based on American signage in the 1970’s.  The font is based on Helvetica as at the time everyone was modifying the font such as sign-makers and designers to suit their own purpose. I chose the font as its basic and bold making it perfect for a base font. 






This font is called ‘Splendid plan nine’ and was designed by Jayvee D. Enaguas. I have decided to look at this typeface as its a basic, big, bulky font.



I have decided against researching into more fonts as I think that having a base font wont be overly useful when I start creating the letterforms. Therefore, I will start collecting imagery to work with.




No comments:

Post a Comment