Sunday 2 December 2012

DESIGN PROCESS - PHOTOSHOP

Below is my research for the Photoshop postcards brief. I have researched into a range of photographs that are relevant to my project, editing techniques that could be used to produce my outcome and existing graphic postcard designs.

Firstly, as the brief requires us to base the theme of our photos around a square, I looked into photography that focused on and around shapes.


My photographs could be based around square objects that I find around the college, below are a selection of images that explore this idea. 


Squares can be found on parts of doors. I could base my project on the range of different squares found on doors around the college.

dutch architecture
Parts of the buildings architecture can also form shapes such as the triangles seen above.

dutch architecture photography.
Another example of shapes found within architecture.

shapes
Here the panels of the building create a triangle. I could consider focusing on bricks/square roof tiles.

 I like the idea of shooting pictures of or through square windows around college.


light and shape
Further example of square windows.



light and shape // Katie Newburn Photography
Shapes can also be found within objects found around college. 

Art Splash: The Shaping of New Visions: Photography, Film, Photobook - MoMA - New York
http://pinterest.com/pin/101119954104679152/

Architectural Shapes on Photography Served
I noticed that most of the strongest images I have collected have revolved around architecture, I could focus my images on the square architectural features of the college building. 


Moreover, I also started looking a photos that were cropped or shaped, such as photos shot on 120-format film. 

Photography by Marco Suarez.     I really like the circular shape for the images, i think it's different and attention grabbing. As I'm looking at the how Earth creates seasons this could be a relevant shape to use in my artefact. It also reminds me of the way light can fall across the Earth, with one side in sunlight and the other in shadow.
http://pinterest.com/pin/536491374330060383/

The circular shape of this image is a result of printing a 4x5 negative with a 50mm lens in the darkroom, instead of a 135mm lens. The circle is created by the lens cutting off the edges of the negative, and only exposing the circle. #trees #photography #orianapoindexter #darkroom
'The circular shape of this image is a result of printing a 4x5 negative with a 50mm lens in the darkroom, instead of a 135mm lens. The circle is created by the lens cutting off the edges of the negative, and only exposing the circle.'


This photo has been shot through a square window, I like the idea of shooting through a square window as lots can be found around college.

An Introduction to Holga Photography
Another example of a square photograph. This image was taken on a Holga camera.

going home #panoptika #holga #photography #analog
Further example of Holga photography.

can someone do this for me at my wedding?
Moreover, this images uses a series of square images to form the whole picture. I could form images by collaging square images.




Additionally, I also looked at photos that had an illustrative influence. I think it is important that this is minimal as the porject is more focused on the adaptation of the photos.

photography & shapes
This photo is striking as there is a strong contrast of colour between the overlayed circle and image.

Shapes (w/triangle), illustrations, photography

Shapes and photography
Simple vector square layered over a photograph.

Shapes and photography

Lucas Simões is an artist living and working in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Through a combination of both geometric and organic shapes overlaid, he's been able to use cut out photographs of close friends to explore identity and cultural individualism.
Here the photo has been cut and layered repeatedly, by cutting deeper in some areas exposes different shades of the picture. I could create an image with a similar effect using the Rectangle Marquee tool.


Finally, I also want to look at reflection photos, that use a mix of reflection and symmetry to create an interesting image. 

reflect / #art #photography


Moreover, I have also researched into the back designs used on different postcards. During Simons lesson we learned about setting up documents for double-sided printing, this has inspired me to consider designing a back for my postcards.

This postcard has a place for the stamp, a dividing line and typography, all the classic elements of the back of a postcard. This design is relatively detailed compared to what I want to produce. 


Moreover, this postcard has lines for the address. I want to produce a postcard with quite a refined back design, so I will not use lines other than a central divide.


Moreover, all of the postcard reviewed also have a place for a stamp, I do not think this is important. However, I will consider it when designing my postcard.



After collecting a body of visually inspiring work, I researched into the standard postcard dimensions. 

I used a printing website to get the dimensions, it turns out that the standard size is A6.










No comments:

Post a Comment