Friday 22 November 2013

DESIGN PRODUCTION - BRIEF 1 - VISUAL RESEARCH


Pantone Formula guide

Link

  • The pantone guide on the left is much wider than the standard pantone guide which is featured on the right. To ensure that I can fit all of my content into the guide my outcome will utilize a wider form similar to the pantone guide above.


GF Smith - Paper Guide.

I used the GF SMith paper guide to help me define the kind of stock that I want to use on my outcome. While browsing the booklets content I came across some layouts and aesthetic features that helped influence the direction of my outcome.

 

  • All text and graphics in the book are printed using a dark grey colour which complements the off white stock that the booklet is printed on.
  • When printing my outcome I will experiment with a dark grey pallet as the subtle colour scheme is inviting for the viewer.


  • The booklet also features a variety of tables displaying information relating to 'gsm' and 'sheet size'. All data has been arranged using a grid layout so that the layout is organised and easy to digest.
  • The tables also make use of lines to signify a divide in certain parts of information. Different line weights have been utilized to signify different things, for example lineage at the top of each section has a heavier weight. 
  • When organising my information I will follow similar rule to ensure that my data is easy to digest and aesthetically pleasing.   


  • This additional information has been placed into a single thin column at the edge of the page, any data displayed in my outcome will be arranged in a similar composition due to the chosen form.



Uncovered - Marina Soto




  • Grid set type leaves negative space which balances the page and guides the viewers eye to important information. My outcome will not be able to contain as much negative space due to its small size, however all graphic elements will placed using a grid.

]
Link

  • Light text printed on a dark stock helps with legibility as the letterforms are easily defined from the page. My outcome could make use of both light and dark stock to show the audience the benefits of each.





DLA - Akos Polgardi 



  • The laser engraved effect on the publication sleeve is aesthetically engaging and creates a tactile feeling for viewers, this sets the publication apart from other outcomes that use less experimental process techniques.
  • My outcome needs to be aesthetically engaging as it has a target audience of creatives, therefore it will utilise a combination of process and finishing techniques to create an attention grabbing aesthetic appearance.




  • The diagrams shown in the publication effectively utilize lines and shapes with a very light line weight, they are successful because the weight is consistently used across all diagrams and other visual elements.
  • Reviewing the diagrams made me think about that graphics that will be featured in my outcome, any diagrams featured in my outcome will make use of a heavier line weight which will be used consistently across all illustrated elements. 

Link

  • Simple effective contents page helps with viewer navigation. 
  • My outcome will need to be easily navigable as students will be referring back to information while completing various parts of the print process. Therefore, my outcome will feature a contents page and chapter dividers.


MAG IS IN - publication project - Francesca Oddenino & Vanessa Poli




  • Publications feature a numbering system similar to the one used when numbering prints, I could utilize a similar feature in my outcome as it directly relates to the publications content.


  • The magazines makes use of a simple yet effective colour scheme consisting of black and orange. The designer has also made use of the tints available for each colour allowing for a variety of colour variations.
  • I want to use a limited colour pallet similar to the one used on this publication when creating my outcome.



Pure Magazine - Patrycja Dulnik




  • Pure magazine by Patrycja Dulnik also utilizes an effective simple colour pallet consisting of  a dark grey and a strong blue spot colour. 



  • The publication makes frequent use of footers to add extra information regarding the magazine.
  • As my outcome is only small it could make use of headers and footers to help place consistent information (page number, chapter name etc) on each page.  




ABSCHLUSSKATALOG - Britta Siegmund 



  • The above publication successfully utilizes the edge painting technique to inject vibrance into an otherwise dull outcome.
  • I want my outcome to have a dominating black aesthetic appearance, to achieve this my publication will need its edges painting black in a similar fashion to the featured work.  





Youth - Pablo Salatin




  • While browsing through 'Behance' I discovered this publication work created by designer Pablo Salatin and instantly became inspired by the small bookmark type object seen on the left.
  • The product simply uses a serif typeface with text reading the title of the publication. Although very simple in aesthetic appearance I feel that the oversize type has some communication benefits as the title is immediately communicated. 
  • My publications cover could use similar typographic form to engage viewers.
Link



Selah Restaurant Brand Identity - Geoff Courtman 

Link

  • Foiling applied to a black stock creates an appealing visual contrast that attracts the attention of the viewer, I could utilise foiling in my final outcome to focus viewer attention on important aspects of my outcome.




Filthy Black Italic, Specimen sheet - Filthy Media



  • This type specimen sheet from design firm 'Filthy Black Media' uses a spot uv varnish on black stock to create a subtle yet aesthetically engaging outcome. 



  • As my outcome will utilize dominant black aesthetics on the covers and page edges my publication could use a spot uv varnish to display the title and any cover aesthetics.
  • Unfortunately, spot uv varnishes are not available at university and so the desired affect will not be achieved. I could try using the normal spot varnishes available at university however, they create a flatter, matt effect.

Link

  • To achieve the desired effect I will use a clear foil on black stock.



Chris Wood Branding - Chris Wood

Finally, I looked at some personal branding created by Chris Wood, the images are relevant to my design process as they show how DIY edge painting can successfully be achieved.



  • Use a clamp to tightly secure all the stock together, the tighter the hold the better the outcome as any gaps could result in paint bleeding past the edges and into the pages.



  • Once secured with the clamp use spray paint to paint the edges of the stock.



  • Leave the stock secured in the clamp until the paint is dry.
  • Once dry remove and separate any pages that are stuck together.  




No comments:

Post a Comment