Saturday 1 February 2014

DESIGN PROCESS - RESPONSIVE - BRIEF SEVEN RESEARCH

After analysing the live brief set by Ed I started collecting a body of research into geometric patterns.


MC ESCHER - TESSELLATIONS 

The tile displayed below is actually a painting done by Escher, based on one of the Alhambra tile patterns. The aesthetic form of the tile is very successful due to the consistency of the intertwining lines and consequent shapes created.  


Islamic tile design.  By Escher.  Who knew?  M. C. Escher (1898 ~ 1972)
Link



CREATING TESSELLATIONS - SECONDARY RESEARCH

After becoming inspired by M C Escher's tessellation work I decided to research into the science behind the production of such designs. I will apply all knowledge gained from this aspect of my research when creating the designs for the client. 



MIDDLE EASTERN TILES - SECONDARY RESEARCH
While reading a book named 'M.C.Escher - The Graphic Work' I discovered that Escher derived some of his inspiration from tessellating tiles found in the middle east. The tiles are created as a form of decoration that is often applied to mosques and other important buildings. 

The tiles are fascinating and act as a great source of inspiration for the brief due to their combination of intricate tessellating patterns and vivid hues, therefore I decided to progress with my research by reviewing Islamic Geometry in more detail. 



Tile from Afghanistan


I decided to collect a body of secondary aesthetic based research into Islamic Geometry so borrowed a book from the library focusing on the subject.


The book used as part of my research was called 'Islamic Patterns' by Keith Critchlow. 



The pattern displayed below shares similar aesthetics as to what I want my pattern to achieve, an engaging geometric composition with heavy bold lines.  










Additionally, I continued my research by collecting a body of internet based secondary research exploring the vast range of visual variations that can be found within Islamic tile art.


Dado panel, first half of 15th century; Mamluk, Egypt;


Dado panel, first half of 15th century; Mamluk, Egypt. Polychrome #marble #mosaic #tile



Islamic patterns, Bulleh Shah's tomb, Pakistan;


Islamic patterns, Bulleh Shah's tomb, Pakistan, Pakistan Art


Islamic tile pattern

Detail of Islamic Tiles

Afghanistan

No comments:

Post a Comment